To avoid landmines and to heal the family, stepparents need help navigating this complex and unfamiliar territory. Stepparenting the Grieving Child advises and encourages stepparents living with a child whose parent has died. Readers will gain insight and ideas from the author’s own experience, stepparent anecdotes, and expert recommendations.
- How do I get ready for stepparenting in a grieving family?
- How do I invent my identity within the new family?
Empathy: Reaching out to Your Family
- What is the “lifework” of grief and how do we manage it?
- How do I find compassion when family grief resurfaces?
- What does it take to develop straightforward communication?
Equilibrium: Finding Balance Day by Day
- How can we find a workable family rhythm?
- How can we enjoy stepfamily life?
- How do we handle life milestones and additional losses?